This post may contain affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a small commission. Thanks.
These are our favorite low calorie protein shakes for weight loss! Every recipe on the list is less than 400 calories so they are perfect for losing weight.
It’s pretty easy to make protein shakes for weight loss — the key is to have low-carb protein powder and to watch the liquids you use.
All 32 of these weight loss protein shakes are easy to make, taste great, and will be the perfect way to start your day or drink after a workout.
- X Tips for Making Low Calorie Protein Shakes
- 32 Low Calorie Protein Shakes for Weight loss (under 400 calories)
- 1. Strawberry Protein Shake
- 2. Chocolate Smoothie
- 3. Peanut Butter Cup Smoothie
- 4. Salted Caramel Mocha Protein Shake
- 5. Strawberry Cheesecake Protein Shake
- 6. Vanilla Protein Shake
- 7. Healthy Banana Cream Pie Smoothie
- 8. Raspberry peach smoothie
- 9. Chocolate Protein Shake
- 10. Banana Chocolate Protein Shake
- 11. Coconut Cream Pie Protein Shake
- 12. Carrot Cake Protein Shake
- 13. Cookies and Cream Protein Smoothie
- 14. Raspberry Vanilla Protein Smoothie
- 15. Green Protein Smoothie
- 16. Shamrock Protein Shake
- 17. Blueberry Protein Shake
- 18. Greek Yogurt Protein Shake
- 19. High Protein Blueberry Kale Smoothie
- 20. Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
- 21. High Protein Apple Pie Smoothie
- 22. Healthy Coffee Protein Smoothie
- 23. Blueberry Banana Protein Smoothie
- 24. Protein Fruit Smoothie
- 25. Low Carb Peanut Butter Smoothie
- 26. Strawberry Banana Oatmeal Protein Smoothie
- 27. Blueberry Spinach Smoothie
- 28. Strawberry Kale Smoothie
- 29. Pear Avocado Smoothie
- 30. Mint Chocolate Protein Smoothie
- 31. Butterfinger Protein Shake
- 32. Cherry Quinoa Smoothie
7 Tips for Making Low Calorie Protein Shakes
I’ve tested dozens of recipes and strategies for making protein shakes for weight loss! Here are our best tips after months of testing!
- Choose low carb protein powders – If you’re counting calories in protein shakes, go for powders that have lower carb content. That way you can get your protein fix without the extra calories weighing you down.
- Make a thicker shake – Want to make your protein shakes thicker? Add some fiber-rich ingredients like chia seeds, flaxseeds, or oats. They’ll give your shake that satisfying thickness without adding more calories.
- Make it taste awesome – Healthy shakes don’t have to taste boring! Use natural sweeteners like stevia or monk fruit extracts to make your protein shake taste better without loading up on extra calories.
- Watch out for sneaky flavor bombs – Be cautious with flavorings and syrups that can secretly pack in calories. Stick to low-calorie options like extracts or spices to give your shake a tasty boost.
- Slim down with water – If you’re trying to cut down on calories, swap out milk for water as the base of your protein shake. It may not be as creamy, but it’ll help you trim those calorie numbers.
- Make a big batch – You can make a big batch of low calorie protein shakes and keep them in the fridge or freezer! If you’re wondering how long protein shakes last in the fridge, we’ve got you covered! 2-3 days is ideal.
- Use a high powered blender – If you want to make the best weight loss protein shakes possible, use a strong blender! We have a list of the best blenders for protein shakes you can check out!
If you end up needing to gain some muscle after you’re done cutting, check out our list of the best protein shakes for muscle gain!
32 Low Calorie Protein Shakes for Weight Loss (under 400 calories)
1. Strawberry Protein Shake
The strawberry protein shake is a delicious, low-calorie drink for breakfast. It’s loaded with strawberries and full of nutrients. Add milk, strawberries, bananas, protein powder, ice and a little bit of honey for this perfect low calorie shake.
Blend the ingredients for a few minutes and enjoy this low calorie high protein shake for weight loss.
2. Chocolate Smoothie
The chocolate smoothie is a tasty, thick, low-calorie protein shake for a quick healthy breakfast or post-workout snack. This smoothie is made with avocado, banana, and cocoa powder and provides protein and fiber to your body. You got to try this one!
3. Peanut Butter Cup Smoothie
Anyone who loves peanut butter should try this one. It’s thick, creamy, and chocolaty. Packed with essential nutrients to keep you full for hours, the ingredients in this low calorie shake are peanut butter, yogurt, banana, cocoa powder, almond milk and vanilla extract.
Try this low-calorie high-protein shake today!
4. Salted Caramel Mocha Protein Shake
This salted caramel mocha protein shake is a healthy way to satisfy your sweet cravings in the morning. It’s one of the best low-calorie protein shake recipes for weight loss.
The ingredients include brewed coffee (use your leftover coffee from the pot!), protein powder, cocoa powder, vanilla almond milk, caramel extract, ice, and a little salt. This is one of our favorite protein shakes for weight loss because of the caffeine kick you get!
5. Strawberry Cheesecake Protein Shake
This strawberry cheesecake protein shake is another low calorie protein shake that helps with sugar cravings. It’s fat-free, low-calorie and made with strawberries, strawberry protein powder, cheesecake pudding mix(fat free, sugar free), almond milk, and ice.
It’s rich in flavor making this drink a perfect breakfast, afternoon meal, or late night snack. Blend all ingredients in a blender and prepare this nutritious drink within minutes.
6. Vanilla Protein Shake
If you’re looking for delicious, healthy protein shakes for weight loss, then this one is for you. This vanilla protein shake is an easy way to get your protein in without too many calories. It’s SO simple- milk, ice, vanilla protein powder, banana, vanilla, and honey. This low calorie shake will keep you full and energized!
7. Healthy Banana Cream Pie Smoothie
The healthy banana cream pie smoothie is a tasty, creamy drink with a little bit of crunch that makes this drink a perfect breakfast. With ingredients like Greek yogurt, almond milk, vanilla protein powder, cinnamon and bananas, you sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs on top at the end.
Try this protein-packed, healthy protein shake for breakfast during weight loss!
8. Raspberry Peach Smoothie
The raspberry peach smoothie is very easy to blend together. The raspberries and peaches added in with vanilla yogurt, bananas, spinach, and protein powder is great for a tasty protein shake.
It’s an ideal breakfast when you’re on the go. This low calorie, healthy smoothie is bursting with flavor. Blend all ingredients for a good two minutes and enjoy the delicious smoothie.
9. Chocolate Protein Shake
This chocolaty, delicious protein shake is perfect for a healthy breakfast. It’s a creamy smoothie that has almond butter, apples(you could sub with banana), dates, cocoa powder, milk, yogurt, and dark chocolate. It has great flavor for such a low calorie drink. Blend the ingredients for two minutes and drink up!
10. Banana Chocolate Protein Shake
There are countless low-calorie protein shake recipes for weight loss, but this one is one of my favorites. It’s a chocolaty, creamy drink made with bananas, almond milk, cocoa powder, and other ingredients. It’s full of taste and essential nutrients to prepare you for the day.
11. Coconut Cream Pie Protein Shake
This coconut cream pie protein shake is a thick, healthy coconut smoothie to kick-start your day. This easy to make smoothie is full of nutrients and includes banana, coconut milk, vanilla protein powder, coconut flakes, coconut oil, and optional coconut whipped cream. It sounds heavy but the key is to find low fat coconut milk (look in the dairy section, not the stuff in the can).
12. Carrot Cake Protein Shake
The carrot cake protein shake is a delicious, sweet, low-calorie smoothie best suited for losing weight. It’s made with carrot, cinnamon, nutmeg, protein powder, and cottage cheese (don’t knock it ’til you try it!) to keep you full for longer. Blend all ingredients for 2 minutes or so and serve this delicious drink.
13. Cookies and Cream Protein Smoothie
A low calorie smoothie that has oreos?! Yes please. This creamy protein smoothie is suitable for a quick snack to keep you full between meals. It’s filling and sweet while loaded with protein.
Blend up almond milk, vanilla protein powder, cocoa powder, a little cream cheese, and the best part- 3 oreos! Prepare this protein smoothie in your blender in under 2 minutes. The oreos make this one of our favorite low calorie protein shakes!
14. Raspberry Vanilla Protein Smoothie
The raspberry vanilla protein smoothie is simple for a refreshing breakfast. It’s prepared with frozen raspberries, banana, vanilla protein powder, and vanilla almond milk and vanilla extract. Try this protein smoothie for breakfast or serve it to friends or family.
15. Green Protein Smoothie
The green protein smoothie is a great vegan option for a low calorie healthy breakfast shake. It contains spinach, ginger, mango, apple, hemp seeds, spirulina powder, protein powder, and almond milk.
Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth to start your day with full energy!
16. Shamrock Protein Shake
This shamrock protein shake is a delicious, refreshing protein shake for an easy breakfast. It has spinach, mint, oat milk, banana, vanilla protein powder, and hemp seeds. Blend these ingredients for five minutes and enjoy the tasty protein shake.
17. Blueberry Protein Shake
This blueberry protein shake is a tasty, easy way to get a low calorie, high protein breakfast in to start your day. It has just three ingredients- blueberries, dairy-free milk, protein powder. Prepare it under two minutes and enjoy this healthy treat!
18. Greek Yogurt Protein Shake
This Greek yogurt protein shake is delicious and easy to make! Add almond milk, greek yogurt, cocoa powder, and peanut butter to your blender for an easy way to get a lot of protein in your body.
Blend until smooth and you’ll have a perfect afternoon snack or post workout shake.
19. High Protein Blueberry Kale Smoothie
It’s one of those low-calorie high protein shakes that make a perfect, healthy breakfast or afternoon pick me up. This blueberry kale smoothie has banana, blueberries, kale, vanilla protein powder, and almond milk.
It brings a lot of flavor and has protein and fiber to boost energy and antioxidants to the body.
20. Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
This chocolate peanut butter smoothie is a low-calorie, nutritious smoothie made with almond milk, yogurt, peanut butter, chia seeds, flax seeds, cocoa powder and bananas. This flavorful breakfast smoothie is a great source of protein. Blend all the ingredients until smooth and enjoy!
21. High Protein Apple Pie Smoothie
This smoothie is a delicious, high-protein, low-calorie smoothie recipe that tastes just like apple pie. It’s made with apple, banana, raisins, and protein powder. Blend the ingredients and add slivered almonds and crumbled graham cracker for a crunchy texture.
22. Healthy Coffee Protein Smoothie
Need an afternoon pick me up or an extra morning boost? This healthy coffee protein smoothie is low calorie and delicious. Made with brewed coffee, banana, peanut butter, and chocolate protein powder, it’s sure to boost your energy.
My favorite tip from this recipe is to pour leftover coffee into an ice cube tray. Then use the frozen coffee cubes to blend with the ingredients until thick and creamy.
23. Blueberry Banana Protein Smoothie
It’s a low-calorie, high-protein shake for a refreshing and healthy breakfast. The blueberry banana protein smoothie is made with blueberries, bananas, greek yogurt, and almond milk. This recipe is great for any hour of the day.
24. Protein Fruit Smoothie
This fruity smoothie is exactly what you need in a low calorie protein shake. It’s made with banana, strawberries, orange juice, vanilla yogurt, protein powder, honey and peppermint leaves. It’s perfectly fruity! To prepare this protein smoothie, blend all ingredients for a few minutes and enjoy!
25. Low Carb Peanut Butter Smoothie
The low-carb peanut butter smoothie is a quick-to-make breakfast smoothie full of protein. It’s a delicious, vegan, and dairy-free smoothie made with vegan protein powder, riced cauliflower, dairy-free milk, chia seeds, peanut butter and peanut flour.
This smoothie would be a great way to fuel you for breakfast or after a workout.
26. Strawberry Banana Oatmeal Protein Smoothie
Made with almond milk, strawberries, banana, oats, and protein powder, this protein smoothie is a great way to start your morning. It’s low calorie and filled with protein to keep you fit and healthy.
To prepare this drink, blend the ingredients for a few minutes and treat yourself to a yummy smoothie.
27. Blueberry Spinach Smoothie
The blueberry spinach smoothie is a perfect, healthy breakfast recipe for adults and kids. It’s a low-calorie, high-protein drink made with delicious ingredients like blueberries, spinach, oats, Greek yogurt, milk, and cinnamon.
Prepare this yummy breakfast smoothie within two minutes and kick-start your day with a healthy step.
28. Strawberry Kale Smoothie
It’s a quick-to-make, sweet, healthy smoothie recipe for quick breakfasts. This low-calorie smoothie recipe includes kale, strawberries, vegan coconut yogurt, almond milk, and maple syrup. This recipe is delicious and light!
29. Pear Avocado Smoothie
This pear avocado smoothie is a light and fruity drink made with avocado, pear, spinach, coconut water, and fresh mint. These ingredients bring a refreshing flavor to this low calorie smoothie and add nutrients to boost energy. Blend the ingredients for two minutes and enjoy this delicious drink.
30. Mint Chocolate Protein Smoothie
This mint chocolate protein smoothie is a refreshing minty smoothie using mint tea! Blend together mint tea, almond milk, banana, spinach, and chocolate protein powder. It’s an excellent source of protein to keep you active and full for your day. The combo of mint and chocolate makes this one of our favorite low calorie protein shakes for weight loss!
31. Butterfinger Protein Shake
If you love nutty-flavor smoothies, then this Butterfinger protein shake is the perfect breakfast drink for you. It’s a creamy, sweet smoothie that contains chocolate protein powder, milk, butterscotch pudding mix, and peanut butter. Talk about delicious!
Try this low-calorie, sweet smoothie for your next afternoon treat.
32. Cherry Quinoa Smoothie
This cherry filled recipe makes a simple, tasty, nutritious smoothie for breakfast. It has cherries, cranberry juice, greek yogurt, stevia, and quinoa. Mix together the first ingredients and then pour it over cooked(and chilled) quinoa. This is definitely a unique, low calorie smoothie for weight loss!