This post may contain affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a small commission. Thanks.
This high protein green smoothie is one of our all time best smoothies! It’s packed with spinach to give it the greens and it’s balanced out by banana, nut butter, and almond milk and banana! It also has blueberries for a punch of antioxidants and hemp/chia seeds to give you 12g of fiber.
The powder puts this protein green smoothie at 35g of protein! If you like green smoothies, this is one for you.
The best part is that this recipe is right at 400 calories! That’s why this high protein green smoothie is one of our go-to meal replacement smoothies. This green smoothie with protein powder is a great beginner green smoothie.
Ingredients for the Best High Protein Green Smoothie
I’ve been powerlifting for years and eat 250g of protein a day. This high protein green smoothie is my ultimate hack to getting protein and fiber to keep my system moving… These green protein shakes are perfect if you need to increase your intake.
- Spinach – Spinach is one of the best vegetables for smoothies! Spinach is loaded with Vitamin K, A, and fiber, it’s easy to blend and best of all — it’s not bitter. We recently put together a massive list of spinach weight loss smoothies if you want more ideas!
- Banana – Bananas are one of the best ingredients for smoothies because they are high in potassium, Vitamin B6, and they help make smoothies thicker!
- Almond milk – Almond milk is by far our favorite milk for smoothies! If you want to make smoothies smoother then you need to use almond milk! We recently put together a whole list of almond milk smoothies for weight loss.
- Blueberries – Blueberries are essential to this high protein green smoothie! They are super low in sugar and low GI so they are great for diabetic smoothies and popular in our list of low sugar smoothies. Blueberries are packed with antioxidants!
- Almond butter – Almond butter is fantastic for making smoothies more filling! Nut butters will add a hint of nuttiness to this green protein smoothie.
- Vanilla protein powder – Protein powder is the easiest way to add protein to smoothies! We recommend vanilla flavored, but any kind will work.
- Chia seeds – Chia seeds will add 5g of fiber to a smoothie with just one tablespoon! It’s one of the best ingredients for making high fiber smoothies for constipation.
- Hemp seeds – Hemp seeds are a great protein source and they’re high in fiber!
- Vanilla extract – Vanilla extract is one of the best ways to make smoothies sweeter! It’s zero calories and super natural.
Variations to this High Protein Green Smoothie Recipe
Give a list of ways people could alter the recipe: Different substitutions, adding yogurt, different milk, etc.
- Kale – Kale is loaded with Vitamin A, C, and dietary fiber. If you like using kale, check out our list of kale smoothies for weight loss!
- Avocado – If you don’t have any bananas, you can use avocado! It’s one of the best substitutes for bananas in smoothies because they are so effective at making smoothies creamy.
- Oat milk – We like almond milk for smoothies because it’s low in calories, but you can use oat milk as well! It’s one of our favorite liquid bases for smoothies and it’s super common in our list of dairy free smoothies.
- Greek yogurt (plain or vanilla) – If you want to really ramp up the protein on this protein green smoothie then add greek yogurt! Even just ¼ to ½ cup of greek yogurt will increase the protein content by 5-10g per serving.
Health Benefits of Green Smoothies with Protein Powder
There are so many benefits of smoothies, but this one is super potent.
- High fiber – This smoothie is loaded with over 10g of fiber thanks to the spinach, hemp, and chia seeds! It’ll definitely keep your system moving, which is why it’s one of the best colon cleansing smoothies.
- High in potassium – This recipe has 905mg of potassium, which is more than most smoothies! Drink this high protein green smoothie and you’ll be well on your way to hitting the recommended daily intake of potassium.
- Full of greens – This green protein smoothie is the perfect way to start drinking green smoothies. It’s not overwhelming, but you’ll get a serving of spinach to start your day!
- Higher Protein – Putting protein powder in a green smoothie makes this one over 35g of protein per serving!
- Full of Antioxidants – The blueberries in this high protein green smoothie give it a punch of antioxidants that your body desperately needs!
High Protein Green Smoothie (35g of protein!)
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 banana
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1 T almond butter
- 1 scoop protein powder (vanilla)
- 1 T chia seeds
- 1 T hemp seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Add the spinach and almond milk to the blender first. Blend for a minute or until all the green flakes are thoroughly blended.
- Add banana, blueberries, almond butter, vanilla protein powder, chia seeds, hemp seeds, and vanilla extract to the blender.
- Blend for 2-3 minutes or until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
Tips for Making Veggie Protein Smoothies
My wife and I have been drinking smoothies 4-5x a week for the last couple of years! We’ve written over 150 articles on this blog all about how to make the best smoothies possible.
These are 4 quick tips for making the best veggie protein smoothies:
- Cut your frozen fruit – We recommend using frozen fruit because you get colder smoothies! The only downside is that it can be hard for some blenders. Cut your frozen fruit into smaller chunks!
- Blend the greens first – One expert trick is to blend your spinach by itself with your liquid smoothie base. This will get it thoroughly chopped up into an almost green juice. Then add the rest of your ingredients! The last thing you want is stringy spinach bits in your smoothie.
- Use a high powered blender – Using a strong blender is essential to making great smoothies! We’ve done tons of blender reviews, but our favorite blender for green smoothies is the Vitamix E310.
- Make them in advance – If you want to drink smoothies every day it can be a hassle to make them fresh. Make a big batch on Monday morning and store smoothies in the fridge for the week!