This post may contain affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a small commission. Thanks.
This healthy peanut butter chocolate smoothie is one of our all-time favorites! It’s loaded up with 30g of protein, 10g of fiber, and less than 20g of sugar. The combination of chocolate + peanut butter + banana makes this chocolate green smoothie delicious. The spinach, riced cauliflower, and hemp seeds make it packed with nutrition.
The best part is that this peanut butter chocolate smoothie is under 350 calories. If you want a chocolate smoothie with spinach — this is the recipe for you!
The trick to making the best healthy chocolate peanut butter smoothie recipe is the right ingredients. If you go too heavy on the fruit, it’ll be loaded up with sugar. If you pick the wrong veggies, it’ll be gritty and bitter.
Ingredients for the Best Healthy Peanut Butter Chocolate Smoothie
This chocolate green smoothie recipe has been perfected over time! There’s no better combo than chocolate peanut butter smoothies, but if you want to make them healthy it takes a bit of work. We’ve tested probably 10-15 variations of this recipe and love this final version.
- Spinach – Spinach is our favorite vegetable for smoothies because you get all the health benefits without the bitter flavor. It blends much easier than kale and is loaded with Vitamin K, A, fiber, and folic acid. We have a list of healthy spinach smoothies if you want more ideas!
- Oat milk – Oat milk is one of the best milks for smoothies! We tried this one with almond milk and it was honestly too thick and nutty. Oat milk gives it a bit more of a complete flavor. Both are great and are the most common alternatives in our dairy free smoothies.
- Banana – Bananas are great for loading up on potassium! They also help make smoothies creamy and give a great natural sweetness. This chocolate banana smoothie is perfectly sweet because of the banana.
- Frozen riced cauliflower – We recently discovered riced cauliflower and it became one of our favorite smoothie ingredients! You get the extra nutrition of cauliflower without the calories and it helps make smoothies more filling.
- Chocolate protein – Protein powder is the easiest way to add protein to smoothies! If you want to make a chocolate green smoothie, then you’ll want to use chocolate flavored protein!
- Peanut butter – Peanut butter is amazing for smoothies — it gives this chocolate green smoothie the nuttiness it needs.
- Cocoa powder – The secret to the rich chocolate flavor is making this smoothie with cocoa powder. It doesn’t take much, but it’s essential.
- Hemp seeds – Hemp seeds are a great protein source! A tablespoon of hemp seeds gives this chocolate peanut butter smoothie 5g of protein and some extra fiber!
- Honey – Honey is optional, but it’s great for giving this green chocolate smoothie an added hint of sweetness!
Variations to this Chocolate Green Smoothie
We tested a bunch of variations and here are a few things you could try out for yourself if you’d like.
- Kale – Kale is one of the best greens for smoothies because it’s full of fiber and Vitamin A, and C. If you like kale, check out our list of kale smoothie recipes.
- Almond milk – Almond milk is one of the best liquid smoothie bases. It’s great for making smoothies smoother which is why we have a whole list of almond milk smoothies!
- Chia seeds – Chia seeds are great for adding fiber and protein to smoothies! If you like them more than hemp seeds, add some to your next smoothie to make high fiber smoothies.
- Greek yogurt (plain or vanilla) – Greek yogurt is one of our favorite smoothie ingredients! If you want high protein smoothies, add 1/4 – 1/2 cup to your next recipe! You can also check out our high protein green smoothie recipe.
- Vanilla extract – Vanilla extract is one of the our favorite ways to make smoothies sweeter! It’s zero calories, all natural, and gives just the slightest hint of vanilla.
Health Benefits of Chocolate Smoothies with Spinach
There are all kinds of benefits to drinking smoothies! Here are the biggest reasons to drink this healthy chocolate peanut butter smoothie:
- High fiber – This banana chocolate smoothie is loaded with almost 10g of fiber thanks to the spinach and hemp seeds! It’ll definitely keep your system moving, which is why it’s one of the best colon cleansing smoothies.
- High in potassium – This recipe has 900mg of potassium, which is more than a lot of smoothies!
- Rich in Vitamin A – This smoothie has 2900 of Vitamin A which is almost the entire daily recommended intake! If you need more Vitamin A, this green chocolate smoothie is perfect for you.
- Full of greens – This chocolate spinach smoothie is the perfect entry into green smoothies. It’s not overwhelming, but you’ll start your day with a serving of greens.
- High Protein – This healthy chocolate smoothie is loaded with 35g of protein!
Healthy Peanut Butter Chocolate Smoothie with Spinach
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 ½ cup almond milk
- 1 banana
- ½ cup Cauliflower (frozen + riced)
- 1 chocolate protein
- 1 T peanut butter
- 1 T cocoa powder
- 1 T hemp seeds (optional for extra fiber)
- 1 T or a drizzle of honey (optional for added sweetness)
- Add the spinach and oat milk to the blender first. Blend for a minute or until all the green flakes are thoroughly blended.
- Add banana, cauliflower, chocolate protein, peanut butter, cocoa powder, hemp seeds, and honey to the blender.
- Blend for 2-3 minutes or until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
4 Tips for Making Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothies with Spinach
I’ve been making green smoothies for years and this chocolate green smoothie is one of our favorites! After making hundreds of smoothies and writing over 150 articles, here are some tips for this recipe:
- Blend the greens first – One pro trick is to blend your spinach by itself with the oat milk. This will get it thoroughly chopped up into an almost green milk. Then add the rest of your ingredients!
- Cut your frozen fruit – We recommend using frozen fruit because you get colder smoothies! The only downside is that it can be hard for some blenders. Cut your frozen fruit into smaller chunks!
- Use a high powered blender – Using a strong blender is essential to making great smoothies! We’ve done tons of blender reviews, but our favorite blender for green smoothies is the Vitamix E310.
- Make them in advance – If you want to drink smoothies every day it can be a hassle to make them fresh. Make a big batch on Monday morning and store leftover smoothies in the fridge for the week!